Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

The People in My Neighborhood




"When disappointment and discouragement strike--and they will--you remember and never forget that if our eyes could be opened we would see horses and chariots of fire as far as the eye can see riding at reckless speed go come to our protection.  They will always be there, these armies of heaven, in defense of Abraham's seed."   --Jeffrey R. Holland

I know angels.  I know more than I ever imagined. 

I never imagined the outpouring of love from the people who want to help.

Since the reality check of the extended ICU stay and (forced) decision to stop working and admitting disability, the generosities and opening of hearts have been astounding.  And even though I am not really surprised, I am both filled with gratitude and amazement that I know these kinds of people.

A sample of examples?  Sure.  From shelter to transportation, friends I call family have volunteered their home for me.  I still am getting offers of spare bedrooms.  When it was discovered I didn't have a vehicle, a friend handed the keys to his jeep over without thought and I used it for over six months.  Before I left Phoenix, my home was burglarized and amongst the things that were stolen, my laptop was one of them.  A used laptop was given to me as if it was no big deal.

There have been more than one instance that cash  or gift cards have found its way into my purse/wallet/pocket/mailbox, usually just in the nick of time when I am wondering how I will be paying for prescriptions or doctor's copays.  (I still haven't been approved for my disability, but that's another nightmare.)  Many times I know the giver, more often I do not, and every once in a while, I recognize handwriting even though they want no credit for their generosity.  I'm still trying to figure out who sent me one of those cool get well baskets when I was in the hospital.  It arrived and no one looked, they just opened it so we could enjoy all the goodies.

And that's just the material needs.

Only every once in a while do you get the opportunity to have one of those cool, straight out of the John Hughes/Cameron Crowe movie moments and mine happened in the hospital.  Except I didn't react so cooly.  I had to have a power port put in place, a usually minor procedure, but knowing I'm a terrible surgical candidate, there's always that slight fear of dying because of some complication.  Anyway, my mom couldn't be there but I was already an inpatient so it was just going to suck it up and pretend it didn't bother me that no one other than the nursing staff would be there when I woke up.  But then when they were wheeling me back, it was a Ferris Bueller moment when the bus moved and there he was waiting for Sloane, or like when Jake Ryan was waiting for Samantha after everyone else left for the wedding reception.  Not that I hadn't already survived the procedure, but it was just one of those cool moments in life.  And instead of playing it cool, I squealed my friend's name like the still stoned from anesthesia idiot, three octaves higher than I thought I could squeak. She knew I would be nervous.  She showed up. 
 
 One of those times I was going to have to check into the hospital, I was still waiting at my doctor's office as he called to make sure I had a bed waiting, I posted on Facebook something about having to check in again.  Before I was even fully registered and had my ID band, I had a visitor.  I hadn't even gotten to my room yet and she found me at registration.  She said she just happened to be in the neighborhood.

Then there are people who are inspired to show up right when I need them.  Its been a tough couple of months and the stories I could tell you of friends who have showed up to advocate for me and make things happen as far as my care goes.  And just in the nick of time.  Its been humbling to watch these people just step up and write letters, or fill out paperwork for me when I just can't do it anymore.  People who show up with deviled eggs because they know I love them or flowers, bringing me groceries or prepared meals, just waltzing in and doing my dishes or taking out the trash as its been hard just to stand on my feet .Or as simple and lovely as just showing up and seeing my swollen feet and giving me a foot rub.  That was a great day.  Service and compassion has not been skimped on when it comes to my neighborhood.  What's strange is that I haven't had to ask for hardly any help, these people have just thought of me and acted upon their instincts and inspiration.  I can think of more than once where I have had a thought of, "Homemade soup sounds really good" or "I wish someone would come give me a foot rub", and well, you already know two women showed up and did it.  Within minutes of wondering how I was going to make it to a doctor's appointment because my ankles were swollen and I knew I might have trouble driving my stick shift, a text was received and a ride was offered.  Within MINUTES.

I am truly blessed.





1 comment:

  1. This makes me very happy. Especially since I can't be one of those people that are there in person. :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete